Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Sleaze V

Wench Boy had not lost the track of time.
Just three minutes to quarter to twelve.
The cabs outside would be ready. Like all the good Bombay cabs. You can depend on one to save your life or dignity.

On Saturdays they were allowed to be out till midnight.
You think a fairy tale moment would have suited Wench’s candy floss taste buds but he felt nothing but sadness. Darius’ arms were so comfortable. He had not known the comfort a man’s arms till now.

‘I have to leave.’ He barely reached his ear as he stood on his toes to whisper in the very tall Darius’ ears.

‘What you say?’

‘I have to leave.’ He had to shout.

‘Why?’

‘I am sorry.’ Darius let him wriggle out of his arms and look about for Sandeep who suddenly appeared as if on cue.

‘Hi! I am Sandeep’

‘HI.’

‘Let’s go.’ Wench was beginning to feel panic bubble under his feet. He turned around to find the door almost in his face.

‘It was nice meeting you. Bye.’ Sandeep said courteously. He did not know what Wench’s problem was.

‘Wait!’ Darius called out to Wench as he rushed to cross the Causeway.

‘Bye. It was nice meeting you.’ Sandeep repeated himself as he watched Darius ignore him and rush to Wench who was already in a cab.

‘You did not give me number. Don’t go so soon. Will I see you again?’ He hung on to the window and peered inside. Wench could smell beer on his breath that mixed with his own subtle fragrance.

How come I didn't smell him when we kissed?

Wench noticed how cute his accent was.
He smiled.

‘I don’t have a cell. I can give you my hostel number.’
‘You can call on my cell. We are roomies.’ Sandeep said coolly as he got in the taxi.
Darius ignored him again.

‘Why are you leaving so soon?’

‘Hostel fuckfew.’ Sandeep said before Wench could open his mouth.
Laughing he added, ‘I mean curfew.’

‘What is hostel curfew?’

Wench suddenly realized his alienness but there was no time for explanations. They had just ten minutes left.

‘Call on 9832167666’, Sandeep said. ‘We gotta go.’
Darius took out his phone and stored the number as Sandeep repeated it slowly.

They were exactly 3 minutes late. God knew the driver had driven his best to reach marine drive.
They were shown the door to the warden.

‘Wench Boy, this is your first time.’ I’ll let you go. Be careful.’ The warden turned to the year older resident and tried not to thunder.

‘You stay!’

No comments: